All HTC smartphones come with a locked bootloader by default. Luckily, after facing a lot of criticism back in 2011, HTC decided to offer a method of unlocking the bootloader via its official developers website. Since then the bootloader can be unlocked on almost all the HTC smartphones except a few carrier specific ones sold in the USA.
An unlocked bootloader is needed if you want to flash a custom kernel, recovery or rom. You also need an unlocked bootloader for rooting most of the newer HTC phones.
Make sure you back up all of your important data before proceeding as unlocking the bootloader will wipe your phone to factory settings.
Important: Please note that unlocking the bootloader will void your phone’s warranty.
- Visit HTCdev and create a new account there if you don’t have one already:
- If you don’t have HTC drivers installed already, please download and install HTC Sync from the link below. It will automatically install the necessary drivers for you:
- On you phone, go to ‘Settings > Developer Options’ and enable ‘USB Debugging’.
- Connect your phone to your PC.
- Download the zip archive linked below which contains all the necessary files for unlocking the bootloader:
- Extract the downloaded zip archive.
- Open the extracted folder. Hold down <Shift> key and right click anywhere on the white space. In the context menu that opens up, choose “Open command window here”.
- In the CMD window that opened, type:
You’ll get and output similar to this:List of devices attached
If you don’t see your device listed in this output, you probably don’t have the drivers installed or “USB Debugging” is not enabled.
- Once you can see your device via adb, reboot into fastboot by issuing this command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Once your phone is in fastboot, get your phone’s identifier key by running:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- You’ll see an output similar to this:
INFO< Please cut following message >
INFO<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
INFO<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
OKAY [ 0.052s]
finished. total time: 0.052s
- From the output above, you need to copy the information like this:
<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>
<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>
Please note that it starts from “<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>” and ends at “<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>”. The word “INFO” from the beginning of every line is not copied and there are no extra spaces before or after the text in any line.
- Now visit the link below:
- Near the bottom of that page, you will see a box for pasting your identifier token. Submit your token there.
- Open the mail box for the email address you provided during sign up at HTCdev. Within a few seconds, you’ll receive an email from HTCdev with an attached “Unlock_code.bin” file. Download that file and move it to the extracted zip archive you downloaded earlier.
- Again from the command prompt, run this command:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- Your phone’s screen will display a confirmation dialog. Press ‘Volume Up’ key on your phone for selecting ‘Yes’ and push the ‘Power’ key. Your phone will reboot.
- Congratulations, you’ve just unlocked your phone’s bootloader.